View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Chevy57PkUp

I've been reading the discussions here and in other locations for several months now. When I first started thinking in terms of having a large RV, it was in terms of like a Winnebago, well it didn't take long for me to get turned off my the whole diesel pusher motorhome idea. Then I spent a little while checking out 5th wheels and tow vehicles, that too went by the side of the road. Ultimately I started hearing about Class 8 'conversions'. Right away I could see where the answer to most of my objections to diesel pushers and 5th wheels could potentionally be answered by a Class 8 conversion. I still think a Class 8 is the most workable idea -BUT- in reading the discussions on TruckConversion.net I have as many questions as answers. Recently I had been investigating Powerhouse as I had inquired of them and they indicated that having one build the way I think I want is not a problem for them. Then today I found a discussion about Powerhouse, general consesus was not the best. While thinking in terms of a Class 8 I was also troubled by what I perceive as a loss of useable vehicle length due to the long node of a conventional Class 8 truck. Once again I found where someone had specifically spoken very negatively on the idea of a COE for the basis of a conversion. I thought I'd found a nice compromise a Class 8 toter and a 5th wheel mated together and someone shot that idea down 'bad turning radius' http://www.cowboycadillac.com/BENZHAULER6.pdf
Between companies with an "our way or the highway" attitude [and my impression has been there are many] and reading the discussions here and elsewhere I'm about ready to throw in the towel and buy the guy down the street's 1999 Ultimate Advantage and call it a day. Is the only way to get one of these conversions the way you want it to go and be your own project manager, go buy a chassis, take it to whoever is certified to stretch them, get it stretched and go buy a welder and a load of tube steel and hir e a certified welder, etc. etc. etc.
OK I'm done whinning now, give it to me straight.
Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote