View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
Mike Sokol

So Tony,

If I'm looking for a Volvo truck to convert into a 12' Toterhome, what sort of chassis should I start with? I thinking buying a 770 or 780 only to rip off the condo sleeper to put on a toter box seems silly. Or I've seen a few 770's with an add-on box behind the condo sleeper for the restroom area. Maybe that's the way to go.

Thing is, I'm pretty much a one-man show doing 100 nights a year on the road with the possibility of a second driver for my long gigs. I really don't need a full toterhome with room for a crew, just to sleep one in luxury and two on occasion.

As far as weight, I'm looking at a few 53 ft event trailers with 50 KW generators and huge airconditioners on board. Plus it will need a least a single 35-ft slide-out and 30 computer workstations. So there will be some weight, but not like I'm hauling pig-iron for a living. My gut feel says stay with a tandem, but the singled-axle haulers do look cool. I'll check on the axle weight of the proposed trailers and see what's up. I think it's about 20,000 lbs per axle, but of course the actual weight of the truck needs to be subtracted from the axel max.

Much more to figure out. Tony, do you want to quote on a conversion for me?

JMS
Mike Sokol is offline   Reply With Quote