View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
BigToy

Basically I have several questions & concerns to address. We are looking for a Motorhome with garage area but also want to tow a heavy trailer. We sell books at shows and need to transport several tons for books as well as a van. Thinking about a 30' box with 22' living area and 8' garage. Figure about 4 ton of books in garage area and towing a tri axle stacker trailer with van & set up stuff in trailer. Basically thinking a fairly short trailer 20' to 24' but still thinking tri axle because of weight. I don't really plan on taking 2 vehicles but figure we can use top of trailer for lighter set-up stuff. Also figure on a couple ton of books in trailer so trailer load (not including weight of trailer) will probably be about 10,000 lbs. I am about 3 months into researching this idea and figure I should go with a twin screw truck because of load and trailer weight as well as having 4 extra tires on the ground and an extra axle with brakes. Don't want to overkill but want to be safe. Also thinking I should go with 400+ HP and a 10 or 12 speed (automatic) or semi automatic. I will probably start with all new and I am a big guy 6'6" and about 300 pounds. Any suggestions as far as best overall truck to use, do's and don'ts, etc. I have looked at the Renegades and liked what I saw but I am not limiting myself to Renegade. The Renegades normally use Freightliners or Peterbuilts. Or customer can supply chassis from what I understand. Would I be better off buying chassis and having box put on or should I just use one from them? Anything anyone can suggest will help. I am hoping to do this once and use it full time for about 2 years then part time for about 15 years if all goes as planned. It seems price is going to end up around $250,000 for truck & trailer no matter how I go about it. Originally had thought about a toter with a 40' trailer and adding a bath room and master bedroom to trailer but that would add about $20,000 to overall cost. So I figured a garage unit would do about the same thing. I am a little concerned going with small motorhome and larger trailer because of weight that would have to go into trailer so once again back to Motorhome with garage. That way some of the load would be in truck & some in trailer. Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks!
BigToy is offline   Reply With Quote