View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
Warpath

We took off for Florida on Xmas day, and ran in a blizzard for about 5 hours. I sure am glad I spit shined the rig before I left. As we hit Cincinnati it cleared up and we where in sun for the rest of the 7 days we where down there. The traffic was horrendous with everyone running south for the holidays and all of the bowl games held in Florida. I have to say, Georgia drivers have to be the worst drivers I have ever come across with Florida coming in a close second. It was shear white knuckle driving from Atlanta on into Orlando with drivers cutting people off and even driving in the median and side berms at speed just to make one position in the sea of cars and trucks. I have driven L.A., Chicago, NY, Boston, Cleveland, and many other major cities and just never have seen such insane driving as that. Truckers where blaming the Yankees, but I will say that most of the stupid driving was being done by Georgia plated vehicles. We basically added 2 1/2 hours driving time to both the drive down and back due to accidents and major traffic jams.

The truck performed flawlessly, and we made pretty good time even with the traffic. It was about 19 hours to Orlando and we left Port Charlotte which is further south and made about the same time. Total distance was 2852 miles and we burned 272.11 gallons of fuel. We did run the generator the 2 days down & 2 back which probably burned 30-35 gallons of the total used. So the FLD average about 11.5 mpg which is pretty good.

We had a great time, and I am really missing that warm weather, special with the current weather report calling for significant snow fall over the next 3 days.

Also got a ton of complements from the truckers, which was good for inflating the old head.

Just behind our campsite in Venice was a little river and on the opposite bank was about a 12' gator which would sun himself during the day. I thought that was cool. Here is a pic.

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote