View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Randy in Va

My need was to pull a 40 Alfa Toyhouse. I got caught up in the RV Volvo thing because I was under the impression I needed to get registered as a RV for economic reasons and avoiding stops at scales.

After getting may inputs, many of them flawed (DMV) here is what I have decided. Purchase a day cab truck for very little money, avoid the RV thing which could be done for 13K or so to get me minimally RV legal, and pay $158 a year more to the insurer that handles my travel trailer to insure the liability on my road tractor. It will not be covered for any other use, but I don't think I care.

My tags are charged for personal use by weight only and would be $158 maximum a year rather than the $40 or so RV tagbs.

The cost of the large cabs seems to be hiked up by the new interest in RV conversions and Autoshifts are even worse. All I really needed to do is move the damn trailer )which remember is a self contained RV) from place to place.

If I have no need for a RV puller and don't want to put out big bucks to avoid scales for my several weeks of vacation till I retire, what'w wrong with my plan. I would rather spend my money when I got there than here at home.

I may still do a conversion, but it seems to not be economically feasable for me.

Next question, can a poor boy with just an old road tractor still hang out with such nice people on this forum!!!

I have one additional question. If I wanted to drive the tractor for other personal uses, does anyone know of an insurer I could contact? Progressive will insure the truck only while attached to the trailer.

Thanx to all those I have bugged and picked their brains!