View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
Onegreatsteak

I am trying to plan my requirements for a project truck and have a few questions. I have been looking on the web site for answers but am new to the group and have not located many so if anyone has a link or opinion please let me know.

My first project 20 years ago was an old Greyhound bus, A real rust bucket, like an iceberg, a little on the top, most of it below. Had to make a new frame. Mostly made a new bus useing the parts from the old. I am better at sweat than money so what I get will probably not be pristine, but I am not getting anything that rusty again! Had a sweet running 471 Detroit though. By the way, DOT registered it as a 20000 pound car.

I see a lot of possibilities but most have a few flaws. One is a 4.11 ratio drive gear, I would rather have something closer to 3.00, Are they easy to swap out? Get another one from a junk yard? Or live with it. Could it be useable with a 13 to 18 speed transmission? I suspect 4.11 or even lower in some cases means screaming motor and lousy fuel mileage.

The conversion will never be loaded as much as the tractor would be in commercial service and one question on the CDL written in Georgia was which takes longer to stop, a loaded or unloaded tractor trailer. The answer is surprisingly unloaded,not enough weight to keep the tires on the ground. Which brings up whether to keep the double drive axles for traction or remove one to increase weight on the remaining one. Or other reasons, like 4 less tires more storage room.

As a side question will two axles get any measurable difference in fuel mileage? I know 4 wheel drive pickups get much less even when the hubs are released. Basically I would like to get closer to 11 MPG than 2. Some reports on the site say that 11 sometimes 13 can be reached.

Also is anyone building or working on one in Georgia or places close by? I would like to visit and see your project.

I would like to do some traveling around in this before I retire and a lot after. It may take a while but should keep me out of trouble.
Onegreatsteak is offline   Reply With Quote