Thread: Axle Removal
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2003, 05:33 AM   #5

I agree with Geoff, the costs quoted you are a bit high.

The wheel base is up to you in terms of how you want to use your tow vehicle. My Volvo had a 207 inche wheelbase. Measure from center line of front axel, to the middle of the distance between the rear axels. I took off my front and moved the rear up for a wheel base of 182 inches. I did that for manuverability reasons in town etc, sacrificing some ride comfort, perhaps, in doing so.

Jim Gehlen, kept his rear in place and has a bed with a 220 inch plus wheel base. He did that so he would have enough room between his cab and fiver for a couple of motorcycles.

Oldphoneman and myself mounted our air ride hitches in back of our new drive axel in order to get some room between cab and trailer. Volvo will allow you to remove weight off the front by doing this. I have lost the exact number but I have it some where.

I received a 1000 dollar credit for my axel, wheels and tires, if you have new tires should do better than that. I can't get mine done as cheap as Geoff, but a net 800 to a 1000 should be possible.

I can't tell you how my rig rides bob tailed compared to Jim and Valeries as I haven't ridden in theirs. I have driven mine over 3000 miles bob tailed and I don't have any problems with the ride, but then maybe I don't know what I am missing either.

fyi

Chuck