View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #22
Jimm

Whatever Hansen did, they did right.

This was apparantly among their first conversions. They did a total of 50 in Sacramento from '88 to '98. Most of the later ones were on GMC Topkicks and a few other MDTs.

Pics (but note that it's getting the whole back enclosed and a ramp door added as a motorcycle shop):

http://racingjunk.com/exec/ca/view/4...ssifiedad.html

Only real flaw: it'll be right at the weight limit when done and loaded, or to be honest, a hair over (under 7% over though). BUT I find towing seriously annoying and impractical for my needs so that's fine by me.

Other stuff: there's a spot where the aluminum next to the upper front bedroom window got dimpled by a tree branch. Not a through-and-through so it's only cosmetic. I'm considering having the whole face of the upper front bunk area armored with thin aluminum diamondplate, eliminating that window. It would protect against similar tree branch issues and it would look pretty bitchin' .

A few of the bay door rivets that are invisible when the doors are closed have loosened (not rusted). Easy enough to fix.

It looks industrial as hell, totally unlike any modern RV.

To me, that's GOOD!

The "pickup truck" nose is way funky too but hey, it makes it easy to wrench on and again...it ain't "one of the crowd".

'Specially not with that clutch and big ol' shifter .
Jimm is offline   Reply With Quote