Thread: fl70 suspension
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
GypsyProgrammer

Gary, not sure, that's kind of why I asked. I do know that truck manufacturers relocate tanks to shift weight towards the rear. That, of course, is primarily an axle load issue. I suspect it also improves braking when running bobtail. On a toter configuration 1000 lbs could be 7% of your weight. I can't believe you wouldn't notice a difference in handling. For a conversion it's not as significant, as long as your do your homework on the rest of the design.

Geof, if you're driving every day, having $600+ tied up in your tanks is no big deal. For a casual RVer, I might not use 600 gallons in a year. So I only have to buy fuel twice a year? In between trips that fuel is going to be sitting there. That's not good for the fuel. I might save a few pennies on cheap fuel (right now there is a 10% difference in the highest and lowest prices at Flying J, and I happen to live in one of the lower states), but having my money tied up costs in other ways. Not to mention how volatile fuel costs are right now. Even with just a pair of 75s I could drive from KC to Vegas and likely have fuel to spare. 1500 miles gives me more than enough time to pick the right place to buy fuel.
GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote