View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 10:39 PM   #15
Doug

I went back and looked for my response to another string, and found it. Although I did not recall it, in that string, I advocated what I suggest may be the best response: a single screw with a tag axle. The tag gives you up to 10K more legal capacity; 6K would probably be plenty for all but the very largest RV. Put it behnd the drive axle, and lifting it makes for an easier time making a tight turn (but you have watch the arc of the back of the RV). Lifting also would transfer that additional weight to the drive axle, which should really help in slippery slop conditions when you really have to move (like finishing the trip to where you need to be, getting around some place to a parking space, etc). I agree with the post which says that it is bad enough, it's just time to park. I still remember taking 10 hours for about 200 miserable miles after a storm in Kansas when I was an OTR driver. Nothing like road so icy that a heavy (I was about 78K) truck feels as though it is going off the road any second.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote