Thread: M2 or Columbia?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
pjcnlv

The folks at Ball Renegade in San Diego have been working with Kibbi to spec a MH that will fit under my 12" high shop door. By all indications, a single change to "basement air" makes this possible.

We are settling in on the 2800CM floorplan with bedroom slide which really makes it a 2900CM.

Now for the hard part:

Do I go with an M2 or the Columbia?

Preface:

* We will tow an open trailer with partial top deck with a combined freight and cargo weight of @7750 lbs.

* The 2800cm will have the 12' living area and a bedroom (rear extension) slide.

* The cabover bunk will be for storage and a sleeping space for one of my kids. It is not needed to accomodate adults.

* It looks like the Columbia equipped with the MBE4000-450 motor comes with an engine or exhaust brake stock. The M2 is equipped with a Cat C7 (3126) and does not appear to mention engine or exhaust braking as standard.

* I see a lot of info about Diesel Catalytic converters to meet 2007 emission standards. The Cat C7 brochure says that this is mandatory now. I see no mention of a catalytic converter for the MBE4000-450.

* We live in Nevada. Our trips range throughout the west, with steep grades as expected.

* Most of our trips are to off-road races and events across the southwest and sometimes into Baja. Sometimes, the outside temp can be as high as 105 degrees.

---------------------------------------------

Questions:

1) Do the 2006 CAT motors require catalytic converters?

2) Is the M2 powerful enough to haul the 29' coach and trailer load as mentioned?

3) What is the most popular exhaust or engine brake for the Cat C7/3126?

4) How does the handling differ between the Columbia and M2?

5) How does the MPG differ between the Columbia and M2?

6) How many BTU's of AC do I need to keep cool? How big of a genset do I need to crank the genset in desert heat as mentiond?

Thanks kindly!
pjcnlv is offline   Reply With Quote