View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #20
madbrit

In Arizona my FLD 120 conversion does not have any registered weight. This was removed from the registration and title when it became an RV. In the AZ statutes motorhomes are exempt from all weight related things.

I am in the market for a stacker trailer and having been told that I had to abide by the 65ft overall length rule, I was stuck with a tight 26ft box and a 4ft tongue as my conversion is just under 35ft. So today I made a visit to our local Arizona DoT guys at the nearby weigh station/Port of Entry to confirm lengths of trailers and motorhomes. I met with this guy who has been there for years and he confirmed my suspicions. The person at the Arizona MVD in Phoenix was not reading the regs correctly. It turns out that vehicles registered in Arizona have their own individual max length and there is not an overall length like I had been led to believe. He showed me the section on lengths, which I had referenced before, and he confirmed that the only RV max length is for a combination of RV and 2 trailers such as a dually, 5th wheel, and a boat behind, then there is the 65ft max. Other than that maximums for vehicles are: motorhomes are 45ft, trailers are 40ft and the trailer tongue is 15ft, making a possible max length of 100ft...... Kewl..... LOL.

He stated that if it doesn't have an exclusion, you can do it. The regs are restrictions not permissions, and people often read them the wrong way. I wonder how many other States have similar confusion over these regs?

So I can also look for a used trailer now and have that little bit more length I wanted.

Now what will happen when one drives into California, who knows as they are a law unto themselves. I will just carry the Arizona regs with me and hope any enterprising CHiP believes me and them.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote