View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
Warpath

O.K. Here is the update. Motor received new injectors and program update to get it to the 300 hp & 860 ft/tq, my rig weights (approx)30,560 lbs. towing a jeep wrangler weighting 3,300 lbs. Total = 33,860

Got a chance to run the rig on a rolling stretch of turnpike for about an hour and here are my thoughts.

First take off from a stop has improved about 25%. Still slow to launch but not bad, and not even a issue to me. It's a truck.

From 5 mph on up to 55, about a 50% improvement. Now I get the feel of the motor pulling pretty hard, don't care how good you are at shifting a manual there is no way your beating this automatic. If required you can really lay into it and it will get to 55 surprisingly fast.

At 55 to 65 mph which was the main issue, about 90% improvement. Awesome! Got a chance to hit a decent long grade and no issue anymore holding speed as well as slowing on the hill and than building speed back to 65. I am really happy with the improvement here.

I find it very hard to believe that a 20 hp & 60 ft/tq increase could make this big of a difference. I have to imagine there was some other issue.

I did contact Detroit (many times and many different individuals) about pushing this motor to 330 hp. I have been given a number of different answers to this question, which really pisses me off. I hate when people are not straight up honest with me.

Sifting through all of the BS I have been given, here seems to be the answer. It can be done with new fuel nozzles, unipump, turbo, cooling lines & ECU update. But Detroit will not authorize it unless the motor is out of warranty. They won't even do it if you told them you wanted to cancel your warranty.

I will say if this rig runs as nice as it does with 300/860 it would be awesome with 330/1000.

As some of you have on your rigs I will be adding a engine monitoring system next week which will monitor everything from rolling MPG and torque to trip info and engine diagnostics. The diagnostic feature is what I need right now, since I didn't get down the road but a few miles and the dang check engine light popped on. At least I can determine if it is a big issue or something that can be handled on the next service.

More info on the unit here --> VMS

I will be running the VMS 240 CL and will give a full report in a few weeks.