View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 09:12 PM   #14
Sledgehamer Motorsports

Bill...part of the reason why I am not looking at a motorhome comes down to $$$. My trailer in the long run will beat up a motorhome unless I go with a bus conversion. I don't have the $$$ for that either. I can go get a tractor with a sleeper and use that to pull around my trailer like a RV Toter.

I made a grave mistake when I purchased my trailer without being totally informed. I purchased it thinking I would be able to pull it with my Class A. Once I got to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and the trailer was moving around in the wind gusts. I knew right there and then that my Class A was not enough for it. I should have turned around on the spot and purchased a Fifth-wheel trailer.

I have talked with other racers that are currently using pushers to tow with and almost every racer has mentioned how their trailer is beating up the RV. Second almost every RV that I have looked at thinks everyone that purchases and sleeps in one is 6'3" or shorter. I currently have that problem in my Class A...where I built a platform between the two single beds in the bedroom to make one bed. Just makes it interesting for someone getting to the bathroom at the rear. The driving area in some is also very tight.

Most RV's are not designed to really be used by long haul racers and the ones that are...are out of my budget range. So I am looking at a tractor to tow with and while I am using it...I will be building a living area to mount behind it for the next season. If that is possible. It might be one of those things that I have to have it mounted before building it out.

Another thing I like about a tractor over a RV is fuel capacity. I am also looking to step up in the future to a bigger trailer.
Sledgehamer Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote