View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #43
Profmcmillen

Great information.
Does anyone know of any dealers or individuals in the Northern California area where I could look at the real deal??

You folks are a total wealth of things to think about. I consulted with the Diesel instructors at the college where I teach. They asked me "Why not just stay in hotels?"
Assuming that I made 3 six month trips in the next two and a half or three years across the US and Canada, what is your best guess as to the costs trade off Up sides and down sides of both choices: The Fun truck or the Car and hotels restraints etc? At age 63 I have traveled the world in my youth in the 70's and 80's and was able to rough it a bit. Now I don't want to stay in the Motel 6 or eat at Denny's. The truck idea is appealing but is the trade off cost prohibitive?

Second question: There are slide outs to create more horizontal room. Are there slide up/pop up sections to make a bedroom over the garage more like the master bedroom in a fifth wheeler? Is there something that stays about 12 feet while driving but pushes up to 18 or 20 feet when parked?

Thanks for all your information. Since I realized that teaching burnout is upon me, this exchange is pretty much my whole fun until I retire and head out.

Thanks Guys

Michael McMillen
Oakland CA