View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 08:49 PM   #1
Thunder Valley

Hello.

I'm new to the forum, and am hoping that I can find some resources or links to help me better heat and cool my rig.

I'm in my mid twenties, and do a lot of racing so since my funds are fairly limited I went ahead and built my own conversion. It's a 1996 Freightliner FL70 with an 8.3 Cummins and 6speed transmission. It's got all of the original body on it, full stand up sleeper and a 24' box behind that with swing doors.
I made the whole rig RV, minus about 8' in the back that is partitioned off as a garage.

Anyway, I gutted this thing almost two years ago, cut a passage from the sleeper into the box, and got to working on the conversion. All in all it took me a good solid 2 months of work to get it to where it is. I've got wood flooring throughout, full cabinets, and all of the walls are covered in a nice light gray material that matches the cabs upholstery very nice. I deleted the sleepers bed, and built a bench seat that folds up into a bed, I installed a dinette in the back, a full stand up house shower, and a full size bunk over the bathroom. The ceiling is translucent, which is both really nice and at the same time kinda sucks.

The AC from the truck and sleeper keep everything comfortable up front, but in the winter it does not heat the RV portion, and in the summer it is really hot. I think I'm too high to fit a roof unit on the truck, as it was once an expediter and it normal "semi" height.

In the winter it's nearly impossible to get the thing warmed up, even though it is insulated. Again I think the ceiling is hurting me there too. It is comfortable with a propane heater going, but I'm not keen on that for safety reasons, and running down the road with a mr heater running is adefinate no no.

I'm hoping there is something out there diesel operated that can get this thing heated even if I need to run ducts in the floor or ceiling.
Since I have a lot of open space in the garage area, it seems there would be something around that will work.

If anyone has some input or links, I'd really appreciate it. Overall I'm very very happy with this conversion, I've just got some bugs to work out and am learning as I go....

Thanks,
Matt
Thunder Valley is offline   Reply With Quote