View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
youngwerth

I'm considering buying a truck conversion as the show/race vehicle for my business. We go to 15 to 20 events per year and that number is growing. Motorcycle races, motorcycle rallys and shows. We currently have a 24' Aluminum Optima trailer that we haul anywhere from 3 to 6 bikes in with cabinets, a couch and some bunks and tools to do maintenance and installs (probably 6-7K pounds). For some events the trailer is a bit of overkill (for 2-3 bikes going to a race, mostly to just race and do some promotion).

We rarely camp out of the trailer due to lack of basic facilities (shower, toilet, refigerator, stove, etc.) We are currently pulling the trailer with a Chevy Avalanche but I don't think the tranny will be able to take another 50K miles next year. Motels are inconvient and expensive. I was thinking about getting a diesel pickup and adding a shower and head to the trailer but then we'll start to run out of room in the trailer. I rented a Class C motorhome last year and coming back from Sturgis almost killed 4 of us when we suddenly came upon a large black cow going 60 on "open rangeland" at night. I won't buy one of those tin cans.

Mostly, I'm looking for something that has basic facilities for up to 4 to 5 guys (more typically 2 to 3) to live out of for up to a week at a time. Not luxury, utility. It would be nice to have a small garage so we wouldn't always have to drag the trailer along. Enough to hold 3 bikes. Heck if the back of a toter home had enough of a deck, that would be fine. The rig has to look professional, we will probably do a wrap on it or at least big graphics.

Fuel mileage is very important because of the long term cost. I'd pay a bit more to get 10-11 mpg over 7 mpg. An automatic tranny is not important (although the auto shift tranny sounds nice).

Since I was originally budgeting around a diesel pickup, I'd like to spend somehwere between $40K and $60K. Am I dreaming? Again we're not looking for luxury. What rigs are going to give the best gas mileage. The people I talk to the have the smaller Freightliners rigs (FL60/FL70) are getting 7mpg but that's with an auto tranny. Reading here it sounds like folks with Class 7/8 conversions are getting up 10-12mpg without a big load.

It seems like you can get a good solid tractor for $20K. Anyone know anybody doing basic conversions like we need for not too much money. Anyone know anybody with something like we are looking for?

Thanks for any and all help in advance.
youngwerth is offline   Reply With Quote