View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
GypsyProgrammer

Some people here swear off propane. I don't, I just make sure everything is functioning correctly and I turn off the gas at the tank when it's parked in between trips.

I have three fire extinguishers in my Class C. A chrome plated one just inside the driver's door. The medium size one they use in race cars. Another big one in the outside storage compartment with the tools. And the third is a small one next to the stove, in case I decide to use the smoke detector as a cook timer. If I had a generator or a big bank of batteries, I'd probably add a fourth.

I also regularly inspect fuel lines for dry rot. A couple years ago my GMC 4x4 burnt in the driveway when a fuel line leaked on the manifold. In less that 5 minutes it was fully engulfed, cab forward was a complete loss. That truck was parked a lot even before I bought it. I'd hate to see what an RV would do. I'd think you'd have to catch it immediately or it would be a complete loss. When I start my RV after being parked for a while (it's old and carbureted), I pop the hood and keep the extinguisher at hand. But after my previous fire, I'm a little over cautious.

If you pull a trailer, check your hubs regularly. You'll not only catch an overheating brake, but also any bearing that are not properly lubed.

-lee
GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote