View Single Post
Old 04-20-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
keszr1

Hey Jack,
Thanx for the kind words. It does seem to be made special to match the TS - though that wasn't what I set out to do. Was just a side benefit. Let's see here. Re: the height.
I think the photo must have been an attempt at triuck photography that was not intended. The height differential - between the rig and the trailer aren't as dramatic as it looks. MOF- no where near so.
I know there is allot of thought that the 770 is too high compared to the 610. I'm not trying to contradict any opinions here - just giving my thoughts. I'm not a fulltimer. Spend more time bobtailing than with the trailer. MOF I'm still trying to find someone to make a filler piece for the holland hitch (I can exound on that if thats not a given here). My opinion is that - my opinion.

That said. No - I'm not too concerned about the height - My only problem is I forget often to note bridge heights and then I cringe when I realize I'm going under <G>.
I go anywhere and everywhere I want to - sans parking garages and drive throughs - but my one tone dually couldn't do that either. The rig stands @13'2". Part of my reasoning and logic is based on prior experience and studying other rig spec's - by that I mean that allot of trailers stand near that tall. I drove class A's for awhile and they were darn near that tall. If you have the $$ to get higher end class A's and trailers There is minimal difference - at that point the question may merel be which one would you want to tap first if you didn't have clearance. Re: maneuvering in CG's and other places - like back roads. Well, I remember my class A's and even my current trailer hitting low branches on occasion.

Can I say that I can plop the trailer in every situation I did with a dually - nope - but thats not necessarily becasue I can't - its more becasue I haven't tried. Since we got the rig we tend to go everywhere in it together and for short trips just use the truck we enjoy it so much. We now save the trailer for longer jaunts. I was taught when towing w rig this size - and I mean trailer length and truck length as well as height - you'd use the same common sense you would doing it with your dually if going into a strnage CG> call ahead and let them know what your height and legth are and have them try and coordinate - where possible - an appropriate spot - I suppose I have a little more freedom for refusal than a full timer may.
For me - the only downfall of the 770 over the 610 is the enormous price differential. But it is trully an RV in itself - as I saod before the kids love it. FWIW - our usual entourage for a day trip is my wife and I, our two children (3 and 1.5) often my mom (the only addition for day trip over a couple days), and our 100# Bernese mountain dog. I've had allot of different vehicles, RVs etc - this is bright, airy, private and comfy. ITs allot more HD inside than the majority of RV's I've had the opportunity to play with. Maybe because it's made for working nonstop?

I'm not sure I gave a direct answer to your ? but hopefully asnwered it - if not try again - I'm not trying to mislead or misinform. Also not trying to change the popular or more accepted opinion - just give my own.

As far as the F550 question goes. If it helped our current predicament (ie finances) and was tolerable/acceptable as our family truck - I'd be willing to consider it - I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not so I figured I'd answer. I'm not upset either way. If you were serious please forward information and photos.

Kevin E. Silva
ZR1 Parts for sale -
<home.attbi.com/~keszr1/zr1parts.htm>
In Major Need of an Update

1998 BMW 750il - Orient Blue
2000 Volvo VNL 770
NCM - #4738
ICQ# - 18873747
keszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote