View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 03:57 PM   #15

All of our cabinetry is real wood, no paper veneers, laminate or otherwise. However, I would say that with the diverse selection of quality laminates out there these days, there is absolutely nothing wrong with laminate cabinetry, especially if you are looking for a high gloss durable finish. The only reason we haven't used it yet is the customers we have prefer real wood and haven't requested laminate yet. The only downfalls to laminate are repeating grains, dealing with the edges and if you get a crack, dent or make an error during construction there is no way to fix it perfectly without changing the entire sheet. Also compound curves can be a real nightmare.

Most of our walls are simply wall papered with a high quality commercial grade vinyl wallpaper, and a lower hardwood wainscotting. If you're gonna use wallpaper, always use vinyl paper and glue, DON'T use prepasted paper wallpaper, it just won't last especially with varying humidty and temps during the winter storage months. If you have some standard interior sheating in your unit just overlay it with 1/8" Luan and sand smooth, then wallpaper away.

It's marble flooring in the 53CS and granite in the 46CS. Our main solution to potential cracking issues is usually a rigid frame with an even more rigid floor under the tile. No cracks yet. We build our units with lower box frame consisting of many lateral bulkheads, trussed sidewalls etc. This all but elminates most twist and sag to our trailers so much so that if you park it on even slightly uneven ground without blocking, one of the landing legs won't touch the ground, it'll just hover. This is however is not viable for an RV unit, as weight is of a more paramount concern. Whereas our customers usually don't care how much the unit ways, as long as its well built.

I do know that there are flexible adhesives and grouts available, which is necessary if you think you're gonna get flex in the floor. I've even seen them in the tile aisle at Lowes or Home Depot.