View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
kblackav8or

I am nearing the end of my Naval career in the next couple years and am thinking of the future. My brother has been running a warehouse operation for years and we have talked of expanding some. He transloads paper. It is a pretty small operation but he has expanded to moving paper bales for recycling. He unloads them from boxcars and loads them onto 53' vans. Pretty heavy, they contract with an outfit running old Bud light 4 axle trailers. The tractors have an extra axle. I am not sure the exact terminology for this axle. Anyway, we are crunching the numbers and trying to determine if we could make enough running our own truck to afford me. It costs him about $200 a trip for the truck to move his paper right now. It is about a 50 mile round trip. I am going to crunch numbers and see if it will fly. That would not be our only trucking business but would be the bread and butter. My idea would be a KW T-800 with the extra axle to be weight legal. The trailer or trailers would be leased.
Comments or suggestions welcome.