View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 08:07 PM   #9
cjc

Hi Big toy. I have a Showhauler 24/10 garage coach which I use for hauling two Harleys and pulling a 1/2 ton Dodge pickup. My wife and I travel with two kids, 13 & 7 and have plenty of room for all. We're on the road almost all summer, continuously going to various biker events and generally on vacation. I think that my situation is similar to what you want to do, but with different cargo. Don't even think about a single axle. That was a mistake that I made and have since added a retractable tag axle. I definitely did not want another drive axle because I needed a shorter turning radius to back into my garage. The retractable axle was the way to go and in addition to gaining extra carring capacity, my stopping ability increased tremendously. I really needed the superior braking because the pickup is over 5500 pounds. Your trailer will probably have electric brakes, but you'll need the stopping ability anyway. My coach is built on a Freightliner Columbia with a Mercedes 450 and 12 speed Freedom transmission. This is a great combination and after traveling through western as well as eastern mountains, I can honestly say that I have no complaints in regard to the drivetrain capabilities. I hope that this helps you decide which direction you need to go.
cjc is offline   Reply With Quote