View Single Post
Old 02-29-2004, 12:38 PM   #3
DanTheMan

OLDphoneman,

Thank you for your very informative reply with your years of OTR driving experience. I do appreciate "Hands On" knowledge passed on to those of us less experienced road drivers that will help us avoid life saving costly mistakes while driving the open road.

I need to explain my yard mule driving a bit further to allow you to understand my original question of "How do you use Air Brakes efficiently?"

I am the only one of four yard mule drivers that does always hook up both both the red or fully charged release for trailer brakes and the blue or activater for trailer brakes.

My reason for slamming on the brake pedal in a panic situation comes from an atomatic gate closing prematurely, from yard traffic of delivering drivers, or from employees entering or leaving the parking lot rapidly. At times, our trailer yard has more traffic than some freeway rush hours, only on a gravel surface, not asphalt.

I truly do appreciate you wisdom filled advice and I look forward to practice my braking skills toward a mastery level on the service roads where I live long before I ever travel the open road with my rig.

I do have another question concerning your reply: Do you really watch the air gauge on the dash each time you brake, or is this a feel for the brake pedal you acquire over years of driving. I thought keeping your eyes on the road and traffic around you would better serve your successful stopping of your rig.

Thank you again, your comments and advice are received with my utmost gratitude.

BTW Your WebShot pictures and comments on truck generators are awesome, Super Informative, you are an excellant teacher and illistrator of "How To" and "Why Do" what ever you are explaining. Thank You for shareing your wisdom and experience of all of your projects. Your Red Rig and Alpha Gold are as sweet a setup as I've ever seen on the net or in person. Totally Awesome. Thank You so much and keep the info coming for all of us novices who desire to learn the easy way, not the hard way of accidents, screwups, or worse.

Dan

1998 Z71 Chevy Extended Cab 3-Door
1988 HitchHiker (no slides)

(Larry, looking foward to my dream rig)

2000 Volvo 610 Auto Shift
Snowbird White Splash Guards
and White Rear Fenders
2004 Carriage csw374 "Ultra-Suite" Quad Slide

[This message was edited by DanTheMan on February 29, 2004 at 03:53 PM.]
DanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote