Thread: Twin Screw
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #13
Blue Skies

Quote:
Originally posted by KAYE RIVERCITY:
You have to consider the front load also-as removing the center axle will affect the weight distribution.....GET AN EXPERT to help with that decision...no guessing or opinions here....overloaded front axle will make for an interesting ride and steering as well as braking......geofkaye
Quote:
Originally posted by 5erFool (John):
The 20,000lb rear axle IS over loadable with a big motorhome. It will probably be near the 32,000 lb limit. John
Quote:
Originally posted by rjdhomes:
I have weighed quite a few motorhomes and I have from 2,000 to 4,000 lbs. of payload remaining before being overloaded on a 30' or 32' conversion. Bob
Although a Class 8 chassis can carry a lot, they seem to have limits especially with a couple of slides, etc. Sometimes the math can get a little "fuzzy" especially in mass production motorhomes, so much so that the RV Industry has tried to standardize weight capacities and recommends a CCC:

CARGO CARRYING CAPACITY (CCC) is the GVWR minus each of the following: Unladen Vehicle Weight (UVW), full fresh (potable) water weight (including water heater), full LP-gas weight, and SLEEPING CAPACITY WEIGHT RATING (SCWR). UVW is the weight of a vehicle with full fuel, engine(generator) oil and coolants. SCWR is the number of sleeping positions multiplied by 154 pounds.

Determining the GVWR on Truck Conversions is an additional challenge as this the axle ratings can be altered by how the chassis is stretched. As Geof notes, this will make a big difference on handling and safety and is not something to be guessed.

In trying to learn more about ideal axle spacing and load distribution, I came across this Back to Basics Article which reviews matching a body to a chassis along with Center of Gravity calculations and other facts like the Bridge Formula.

For me, the article was enlightening although probably old hat to many. Curious as to how many of you have had your trucks on the scales with a front/back, left/right breakdown as well as know your actual post conversion axle weight ratings? The end question is what is the actual CCC using the above formula? It might be smaller than you think.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote