View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
The TruckerWillie

" cjc " You stated,
" I contacted Showhauler and spoke with Chad about a problem that had been reoccurring since the motor home was less than a year old. The aluminum skins do not stick to the frame and each other with this double sided 3M tape. That stuff was made to hold lightweight trim pieces and nameplates on vehicles not aluminum skins. I had my rig back and forth to Showhauler a number of times to have this repaired, but of course there is no true repair when faulty manufacturing processes were used in the first place. My rig is now 4 years old and the aluminum skins have popped open in various places all over the place with no rhyme or reason."

" cjc "
I have owned several truck conversions. Each conversion had many great features.

Showhauler, Hallmark, Powerhouse Conversion and Transport Designs as well as other conversion manufactures use tape construction method. I have heard claims from each company that they can make the aluminum skin work with proper instillation.

On a hot summer day at a motorcycle race I walked around looking at a coach built by each coach manufacture listed above.

These companies can claim anything they want. They all had the same problem you are discussing. Before selling my last taped aluminum skin conversion, I used 3M windshield sealer to stick down the bulging aluminum skin.

I am currently designing a Kevlar skinned coach. I am sure it will not live up to the claims. This will be my fifth truck conversion in 8 years. I have learned truck conversion manufactures will say anything to make you happy when they have their hand out waiting on your deposit.

" Warranty " Each conversion company I used acted like insurance company when it came to a claim. They blame "me "the customer; they blame the products they have chosen to sell on your conversion. They rarely accept the blame.

It is clear to me that manufactures rarely stand behind the warrantee more then one or two visits to the shop. I have found it doesn't matter how long they claim their warranty is.

Good Luck

CJC

TruckerWillie Out
The TruckerWillie is offline   Reply With Quote