View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
HD_RIDER

As a newbie to this site, I'll try to keep my questions limited to things that I couldn't find answered through previous questions that I have read. I should give a little history up front: I've held a CDL since they came into existence, as I'm sure many of you have, and agree to the superior safety in using a HDT for pulling a 5'th wheel camper. The majority of the 20 years that I drove was in a single axle day cab configuration, although I took numerous layovers with a twin screw tugging a 48 foot reefer. They were not set up for OTR, so I'm sure they weren't as comfortable as they could have been. Personally, I hated the ride of the twins on a rough road. Being company owned trucks, I had no say in their set up, and didn't have to be concerned about engines and gear ratios, just pre-trip and go. Therefore, I now find myself lacking in some of the knowledge needed to decide what I need to look for in finding a used HDT for my purposes. I've so far been unsuccessful in finding out what the requirements are in Indiana to convert a commercial tractor to pulling a camper without being subject to DOT regs. Anyone who can shed some light on this?

I don't want a stretched frame, self contained unit pulling the camper, just swap the fifth wheel for the smaller one, deal with the brakes, etc. I still maintain my CDL, but would prefer to stay out of the whole log book, weigh stations, etc. mess that retaining a commercial status would involve, and I imagine insurance would be greatly affected as well, right?

I am leaning towards what I am familiar with; Intl 8100 series, single axle, either Detroit or Cummins, probably a 10 speed transmission. Not sure if air suspension would be an advantage over springs, comments on any or all of that would be welcomed.

I just bought a 37' toy box (KZ New Vision Sportster) that will be confined to my drive until I figure out and aquire the needed towing unit. Any thoughts about buying a used fleet vehicle from someone such as Ryder that may have 500,000 miles on it?

I have, on rare occasions, been put in a newer Volvo before I retired, and have to say they were nice rides, but admit my budget will not allow something like that right now.

I guess that's enough for my first post, but this seems like a great site to find assistance. Thank you in advance.
NRA Life Member
https://community.webshots.com/user/hd_rider1992
HD_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote