View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
Radman

Geo,

I am not sure if anyone makes an efficient portable HWH as you described; totally portable plug and play? But then Im not sure I understand what you're really after?

Are you looking to keep your standard tank type water heater also? The RV500 is a direct replacement for the traditional Suburban or Atwater RV water heaters but its a bit smaller and a whole lot lighter (35lbs). If your feeling industrious you may be able to build a "suitcase-like" enclosure for it and set it on the ground outside your RV when you get to camp?

The placement of our unit is square between the kitchen and bathroom street-side. The lines are very short and the unit does not hold much water so I am expecting a short ramp-up time for hot water. They tell me it should be about the same as a traditional tank type water heater that is already up to temp but a lot more efficient throughout the course of a trip. That makes sense to me and we will soon see.

I went ahead and bought the RV500 and received it a few days ago to install in our new coach. I won't have any performance based feedback for anyone until July / Aug when we finally get it plumbed and fired up. First impressions are that it's a good quality unit and good people to deal with at Precision Temp. Pricing was just a bit more than a standard 12gal gas/elect Attwood. Payback should be a couple of trips worth of propane at today's prices.

I also got the cold weather package because we tend to go west and stay at higher altitudes where we get cold and windy conditions. The "Windy" kit is $55 and tis always windy. The cold weather package (under 20F) is $110 and includes the windy kit so we went ahead and got the "cold weather package".

It will be interesting to see what you come up with Geo. And I will let you know how this works out.

Jim