View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 05:02 AM   #24
madbrit

Don't try the grandfathered thing in Arizona. They have been known to inspect the vehicle for more than just the Vin#, such as compliance for use. Having a motorhome title in one State will not guarantee you getting it here, especially if the temporary conversion consists of a Coleman gas grill and a mattress on the floor.

What they told me was that the CDL did not come into it as long as the vehicle did not weigh or its GVWR was not stated as being over the 26,000 lbs. unless it's a motorhome, when there is no max weight. The only thing they were interested in was whether the vehicle could still carry a load. For example, a rear load area with a roll up door or a 5th wheel style hitch. If the vehicle is not like this, then it comes under all the old regulations that pertain to a motorhome. If it has the load capabilities, then all they want is the Heavy Use Tax, and unless you are pulling or carrying a load, they don't require a CDL either.

Things are still okay pulling a trailer as long as the trailer does not have a GVWR of over 10,000 lbs as it then alters the GCVWR (combined). At this point it started to get a little more confusing as to whether a CDL was then necessary and since my trailer is under the 10,000 lbs, I didn't look into it further.

That's my info on this subject. It just takes time to research this in the Statutes, and when you find what you think are the correct laws, then let us all know and then print it out and carry a copy with you in your vehicle.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote