View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 06:41 AM   #9
Warpath

I will be totally honest, I wouldn't even consider a conversion on anything less than a Columbia. The M2 is ok and would get ya by, but I will bet money that it won't take long before you are unhappy with it. 860 ft/lbs of torque is just not enough. On a cool day when the clutch fan doesn't engage you will do ok on rolling highway terrain. But get in the heat on a 4% plus climb and that clutch fan kicks in and it's over.

I know most guys say it won't bother them to slow down on the hills, but believe me it will. You will roll on by the truckers down the hill in the passing lane and than get caught out there and slow down and everyone is climbing up your butt and it just makes traveling a big pain.

The Allison automatic would be the best option specially in your case (just using it as a motorhome) but your not going to find to many used rigs setup that way. The Meritor is going to be a little jerky, but if it is just you and the wife (no one riding in the back) it won't matter as much.

When they say engine brake, that is the same as a Jake so your good to go there.

As far as Haulmark goes, they are not a bad rig, but the fit and finish is not as nice as a Show Hauler, Trendsetter, or Renegade. I climbed all over a couple of Haulmarks and I wasn't impressed with the amount of sealant they used in large gaps on the exterior. Interiors even on optioned out rigs seemed sparse, but I do see they are dumping them out for a great price. Exterior storage space on the Renegade seemed to be less than others and I hate that they do not close in the sewer bay. Interiors on the Renegade are very nice. Never did see a Trendsetter, but Camping Dutchmen seems to like his. If I where to do another one I would probably do another Show Hauler or possibly a Dynamax if I had the money, but that probably will never happen.

To be honest my Vectra rides 100% nicer than a conversion, with the motor out back is super quiet while driving, and all the little creature comforts they put into it makes living in the thing like a taj mahal versus a hunting camp for the conversion. Most of the conversion guys still have not come up with a rig designed for the RV'er.

Hope that helps.