View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #19
Radman

One more update to this post...

Last week we installed and tested the ride height option discussed above. Everything worked as planned with one exception. The ride height control switch didn't respond as we had thought. A bit of frustration and some experimentation led Jason to dismantle the OEM limit switch and noticed that it is full of "JELL". That's right a gooey jell that dampens the movement of the lever relative to the internal valves that control the air. This is how the OEM supplied switch keeps from cycling based on rapidly changing situations. The valve has to be in position for a moment or two before it responds to the change.

I remember having a conversation with someone on the list about their "ride height" not coming back down. He was adding additional return force to make sure the cylinder was retracting with a bungee. I think the real issue may have been the jell in the switch that takes several moments for the internals to respond and bleed the air out. This may be really slow in cold weather.

In any event we removed about 50% of the jell and it seems to respond better but will hopefully have enough dampening left so it doesn't cycle too much.

We also added some rollers to the end corners of the coach to help with the roll vs drag issues when we do touch down.

I hope this helps intrested parties understand the whole system.

Good luck if you should decide to go for it.

Jim