View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #21
vintageray

Bob and volvoman, You guys are right. Stretching the frame on the Pete is the way to go. Turns out that the frame rails on the old Wanderlodge are only 7 1/2" tall and are 36" apart (outside to outside) and the Pete's rails are 10" tall and 34" apart. There's about ten feet of frame behind the drive axle on the coach though, so stretching the frame of the Pete is going to be a little different than just cutting it in the middle, putting a section in and double framing for a ways.
I think the best solution is to find a junk yard that handles school buses and take the rear 16' or so from the frame from a school bus and use it for the stretch since they already have the frame behind the rear axle as I require. Then install the rear drive axle from the Pete with the air leaf suspension.
I've been off here for awhile. I thought the site was broken, but it turns out it is taking about four minutes for each page to open. So does using the rear part of the frame from a school bus seem good? I could go a long ways to get pieces and haul them cheap on a trailer behind my pickup.