View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
dgorila1

Austin,
You're doing exactly what I want to do (Full Timing). I would also like to have multiple parcels of land throughout the U.S. and Canada that I could travel between as I desire. I originally started looking at containers for use in alternate housing building and a few other business ideas, but when I latched onto the full timing bug I saw the potential to build one as a heavy duty 5vr. Many say the extra weight might be a problem, but I think its minor if you're pulling with an HDT and have the proper trailer as a base as you've shown here.

My biggest question at this point is how to properly insulate the walls/ceiling so the container can handle any climate and then how to attach the outside and inside skin over this and make it watertight. I have considered tack welding framing to the inside and outside of the container and using expanding spray foam as insulation for an airtight unit. Then possibly VHB and/or screw/rivet aluminum skin to the outside and wall panels to the inside. The key is to make the outside skin watertight so moisture doesn't get into the insulation.

Looks like you've already got your plans well laid, what with the photoshop pic and concept floor plan. Very impressive :-) Any idea on the build cost for your concept?

Also, have you determined the approx hitch weight of the setup? Just curious since that would determine what hitch to use on the HDT.

I'm leaning towards using a 40' container with an overhang built off the front over the hitch area. I am considering incorporating a garage in the back to possibly hold a car or motorcycle and workshop, but I need to do some sketching and see what kind of living area I want. I have even toyed with the idea of a retractable second story using this platform, but that would be better built from scratch than trying to cut the top off and modify it. It would give me allot more living space though. I envision the bedrooms upstairs and the living area/bath downstairs along with a garage. Just more food for thought :-)I have a bunch of ideas that I haven't even touched on.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote