View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Bill B

On my Volvo, I replaced the H11 low beams with an HID H11 kit. Bulb (arc) tube placement in the same spot inside the lens is pretty critical. Mine is the newer style with the projecter style lens.

Depending on your bulb, go for it. However, have you tried this with the wiring first ===>

I posted it on another forum where a guy was looking at a Bright Box, high and low together.

Johnny - a word of caution - I assume you are using the 610 in your webshots?? - With a common element bulb (3 wire - both high and low in the same bulb) you will get a LOT of heat in the lens. 55 watt low beam plus 65 watt high beam 120 watt total. This will raise the common (-12 volt) current to 10 amps from the normal 5 amps. It will also raise the heat load in the lens by 2. I would watch real close that you do not melt the headlight housing. The extra heat will also burn out the lights much faster.

Now, if you have separate headlights (not on the 610, sorry), and with more area to dump the heat, different animal altogether. Personally, I would add some auxiliary lights or go for a HID conversion.

Another thing that may help. Mine, like a bunch of others, they used a small (light gage) wire to feed the headlights. I added a couple of relays and put in heavier (12 ga) wires. (Use the power where it is needed, rather than trying to get it there). This did make things better. Polishing the lens also helped. Also, my 630, has separate lamps so I did, with the relays, add the high and low together.

Yeah, I know, I think a boy carrying a candle could do better at times.

Good luck
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote