View Single Post
Old 04-11-2004, 09:25 PM   #5

warpath, your opinion has merrit and ultimately may be what I do. The trailer I had built, is exactly what I would wan't again...hard to swallow a big loss...without some investigating.

The trailer is a combination of a steel mainframe, and mostly aluminum wall structure. It has a continious one piece aluminum roof as well. Frankly, I believe this trailer to be one of the best built. I ordered it fully insulated, and sheathed, along with a larger capacity A/C ducted through out, and forced air heat. The axles could be located more forward, being I do not plan on hauling 3 horses in the rear.

For the sake of discussion, it seems like a common practice to simply set the box or in this case trailer directly on the frame. I envision buiding a ladder style designed reinforcement, that would tie the crossmembers of the trailer together, and give a full length support that rest directly on the chassis rails of the truck.

The trailer has a 7'6" hight from the bottom of existing floor crossmembers, to top of roof. The A/C unit is another 14". I envision a low profile tire based on a 19.5" wheel that would be near 32"-33" tall. I figure 8 inches for suspension articulation. Being this would be under the floor level of the trailer, I'm thinking the tire height, plus suspension clearance, plus my designed "ladder rack/stiffener (3-4"), and total height of trailer wall and a/c, gives me a total finished height of 12'5". I'm not sure weather that is good or bad, but it seems rather normal or a little less for a fullsize RV.

I welcome a informational discussion on this idea, and would love to hear from some that have first hand knowledge. While I may very well decide against it, a savings of 30-40k in the long run, may be the only way I ever actually get to own one these vehicles, atleast at this point in my life.

rwrr001, whats the lowdown on your idea?