View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #13
Radman

I have never been asked how long the coach is (42-43). However, we were recently pulled over in Georgia by a GDOT man. He whips up on us at 80mph plus, slides in behind us and goes for the flashing blue lights. We bring it over to a smooth stop on the shoulder and get the registration, driver’s license and insurance papers out of the glove box for his imminent arrival at the driver’s side window.

Its young guy late 20s and really playing up the tough guy role with the baseball cap, not the flat rim “Smokey” caps we have in MO because he is DOT. He looks at the 2 sheets of paper and a driver’s license in my hand and demands in an even sterner voice, “Give me your truck papers”! It’s reminiscent of the ole WWII movies when the civilians get sopped by the Gestapo. I give him the dumb look as he repeats his demand and I realize he thinks we are a Commercial Truck.

I say, “I don’t have a log book; we are an RV and licensed as an RV in the state of MO, please check the plates on the truck. The tough guy look turns to surprise and then curiosity as he checks the plates. The look is followed by embarrassment that is quickly replaced by more tough talk as he takes my License registration and insurance papers to back to his car. 45 min later, we are ready to get back on the road when he gives me back the paperwork and tells us to drive safely. I ask, why did you pull us over and he says, “You blew through the scales about 30 miles back…now drive safely”.

It all makes sense as to why he pulled us over but what an AH and why 40+ minutes to check us out and cover up his mistake? The whole deal could have been done in 10min and I would be fine with it. Actually it’s not a big deal and probably a learning experience for the GDOT guy (I would hope) and some road side entertainment for us.

Rad