Thread: U-Haul into RV
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
Arch Angel

This is my first conversion. I found an old 26' U-Haul (International-diesel), that I want to convert into a RV/Mobil Home.

Below is a basic floor plan idea I had. My goal is to have it set up as primary living quarters, yet maintain the ability to pack up and go "camping" with. Along with my plans I intend to use the roof as a platform for a second floor (even if it can only be used in the warmer months. The major problem is that I want to make sure my pull-outs remain stable and are easily operated. I plan on doing this project in steps to maintain livability as much as possible.

1st step will include setting up the main box as usable living quarters. Because I will have this parked near access to restroom facilities, I should be able to avoid adding my plumbing just yet. However, I will still need to work out a 110v supplied electrical system (even if temporary).

2nd step construct primary wing. I plan to construct each pull out separately and only at the final moment cut into my existing box. Because eventually both wings must be attached and they overlap, I expect I must build both tracks at once. The primary wing will include the plumbing areas such as kitchen and bath. In the plans I have added a door to this wing so that I have a more conventional, comfortable, and welcoming entrance. I want to maintain the roll up "Garage Door". I've considered to paths of constructing from this point. One is to go ahead and install the pull out as soon as it's built. The other is to close off the open side of the pull out from the elements and use it while it still detached from the box.

3rd step is to construct the secondary wing. This area is primarily to give my daughter a more private of her own and allow both of us greater space and comfort. As you can see from the plans I am indecisive about a couple bed ideas. One is a fold up bunk bed which the top (or bottom) bunk could be dual purpose as either her storage or a bed for guest. The other is however a lot easier to build and requires less space when folded up. Having the second wing complicates the construction of the design because when the wings are brought in the must overlap. Should I use Gas ranges and ovens or just rely on electric?

4th step construct 2nd floor. This is a very open area. I've thought of fold up walls, tent like structures, and even things that resemble "pop-up" campers. The biggest concern I have here is how well the roof can maintain the weight and if the height of the structure would be to large for travel while stored down. I would like some input on this based on legal requirement, and ease of access. In the end even if I just have a vent/trap door to the roof and I sit up there, I'd be happy enough. I've also thought of having the potable water tank located there.

Well, you've waited long enough here is the first idea.

What do you think. Feel free to send me some other ideas or floor-plans on the matter.

Thank You,
A-A