View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 05:46 AM   #6
Radman

BUonM22
Welcome...I completed my garage coach last year.

It would be good to hear more about the maintenance requirements of the HDT

I have been getting mixed reviews on oil change intervals. Since we do less than 20K per year it seems that the time the oil is in the truck more of an issue than the miles driven.

Our truck gets exercised about every 3 to 4 weeks during the summer and we have never had an issue getting it started. It stays plugged in and in “float mode” for chassis and house batteries year round and even inside for the winter months at my warehouse.

I will tell you one thing that is similar to owning a class A RV. That would be the shake down-cruse-time required to get past the previous owners practices and getting it to work right for your intended use. We build the coach from scratch on a used T2000 chassis and it took about a year of travel to work out all the anomalies, learn the truck and the HDT routines. Even stopping for fuel was an adventure at first.

We are on the home stretch and there is no going back to a tradition class A…On the road it cant be beat but don’t kid yourself, it’s a big rig and there is no getting around that. You can’t cheat physics when it comes to fitting in tight spaces but we get by.

Tell us more about how you will use the garage. Ours is used for modern / vintage motorcycle hauling during the racing season and touring bikes the rest of the year.