View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
blizzardND

I have a very long list of items I bought in Elkhart that I either didn't use or I have already replaced.

formentioned windows, 2 black tanks, complete shower unit, lots of plumbing fittings, a Wal*Mart sack full of rv outlets and light switches. and a few other items like some table leg tubes outside shower kit, propane extension hose, some latches and a few cargo doors.

oh and did I mention that my 450 dollar surplus Xantrex Inverter craped out and needed a $1100.00 circuit board? Have a new (rebuilt) unit for $1200 just arrived UPS.

My plan was, I had an idea of what I was going to build, then I bought the parts to design around. Then the build happens, and unforseen things come up like the widows were all for the right side, and other things don't fit. The builders bought new parts 'cuz they didn't look in the box for the surplus ones etc. now I'm north of 70 grand into a 50K project and after 1 trip I have my interior all ripped out of the bathroom to replace the surplus inverter, which required the ripping out of the shower and closet so 400 dollars later I bought a new shower assembly at Menards. When you are already underwater on a project like this, what's another 400 bucks for a shower that you can get in and out of easily and a bigger closet?

The problem with the Elkhart stuff is, because you get a good deal on it, you design around it the part, rather than good design in the first place.

Good luck with your project! If you see anything on my above list of extras let me know! I'd like to rid myself of the memories!
-blizz