View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #48
Ran D. St. Clair

Quote:
Originally posted by geofkaye:
...add a 12vdc air to air heat exchanger to your plans....BAL makes them and they are about $200 if I remember correctly...geofkaye
Goofkaye, can you provide any more information on these. I have done a web search and while I am finding some cross flow heat exchangers, or HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilation) as they are sometimes called, I am not finding anything for BAL, nor anything that is 12V, nor anything that is for a small space. Most seem to be for very large houses.

Also, from what I am seeing they only recover 60% to 70% of the heat/cold, so I wouldn't want to have much airflow through one for my application. I am even wondering if I should just go get about 12 ft of double wall stove pipe, wrap it with insulation, and mount it under the truck somewhere. I could use the inner and outer for opposite airflow and put a little tiny 12V fan on the inner where it comes up through the floor. I am also a little concerned that warm air coming into my air conditioned truck would condense inside the heat exchanger, so I would have to make provisions for the condensation to drain, which would be relatively easy if its just a long straight pipe with a downward slope. Likewise warm moist air leaving the truck going to the cold outside would condense in the exchanger but sloping down to the outside end solves that problem as well.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote