View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Chris Taylor

I'm looking at getting a plain boxtruck or cab and chassis FL Freightliner for commercial car hauling and for dragging the racecar trailer across the country. I'm curious if anybody can give some insight into these trucks... it looks like around here most in my price range (CHEAP) are 6 speeds with Cummins motors.

Any tips on the chassis, drivetrain, and any ownership advice would be appreciated. I'm used to 7.3L Ford's and am curious how parts like clutches, transmissions and even regular maintenance items are priced compared to regular pickups. I've got a hydraulic guy that's starting to moonlight in "light duty" diesel maintenance who I'm sure could handle most of the maintenance on a class 6 rig like this, but I'm curious if the maintenance will be cheap and easy or if it's not a good jump from a pickup to a class 8 rig.

Will likely look for a crew cab or sleeper truck and consider adding a toter box later down the road or possibly even ending up with 2 trucks for the different duties.
Chris Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote