View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Lakejunkie

first off i'd like to intro myself and go through the same speech of "i'm new to the board, been lurking for a while". i've noticed a few names that come up a lot and seem to know "what's what" when it comes to these rigs.

i do have a few questions that i'd like some opinions on.
1) my initial thought was to go with a KW W900 with the 86" sleeper. i noticed NOBODY is using this truck.....why? that truck does have the largest factory sleeper available so assumed that would be the way to go?
2) volvos are VERY popular with this group.....why?
3) i was also looking at T2000 and Volvo (780 believe?). they seem to have the nicest looking interiors. the least "industrial" looking cab areas.
4) i also notice there are no peterbilt 379 users? why is that?
5) any opinions on auto vs manual tranny. i have no problem rowing through the gears but i may try to get my wife to start driving as well and an auto may be easier to get her behind the wheel with. i have heard some bad things about the auto tranny's in these trucks. are there any years or models to stay away from? are they more expensive to maintain than the manual versions. my experience is with 9, 10, and 13 speed.
6) there was a thread on here somewhere that i can't seem to find now, where someone had posted there recommendations on what specs to look for in a truck to convert. i can't find it ANYWHERE now. i was going to print the thing out.
7) is one truck easier or less expensive to convert to a single drive vs a tandem drive?

what i intend to use the truck for:
i don't need a huge living area, which is why i was looking at the w900 with the 86" sleeper. there are 3 people in my family so i was also looking at the double bunk. I did notice the type of crapper that geofkaye mentioned (the Incinolet) and looked up their site. i LOVE the idea, they are tad on the spendy side but the convenience would be more than worth it. is it possible to convert the typical class 8 truck, using the factory sleeper, into a liveable area w/o having to the go the route of an aftermarket box? i want a truck that will be able to go into all national parks (i'm told they need to be 30ft or less in total length....correct?). it will spend some time in CA so i'll need to be under the 65ft rule. my boat trailer is 37 from the tip of the trailer to the rear edge of the outdrive. but it's very light (under 10k pounds). i want something that is comfortable for the entire family and decent sleeping quarters along with an area large enough for a dinette when we're not sleeping. after reading some posts i realize i shouldn't even consider a range top and just stick to microwave type applications. is it possible to add a shower/toilet to a factory sleeper? where are items like this purchased? i'll be checking to day to see what the rules/regs for NV are to change the title from commercial to RV. i'm not in a hurry whatsoever to make a purchase so i have plenty of time for R&D and reading

to qualify some of my experience, i do have a current CDL and do get some windshield time in a truck pulling 45ft flatbeds but they are ALL older Petes (377 model). i have ZERO experience with any other model. ANY input would be appreciated. i do apologize for the LONG initial post but i have a TON of questions. thank you in advance for any help, advice and opinions.
Lakejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote