Thread: A/c Mod
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
ed s

Bob,
So many of the dog show sites have limited elect. Some 30 amp, some 20 amp and once in a while I find a 50 Amp.

Now my reasons for what I want to do is two fold.

First with 30 amp power I can run one ac and other stuff in the coach. That means the garage ac will run and the other two will not and I like the coach cool. I do not want to run a fan from the garage to move cooler air up front cause of dog hair.

So I want to be able to plug into 30 amp and run the front ac along with other stuff. I want to be able to plug the garage ac into its own power source when I am not running the gen or plugged into 50 amp.

I need to splice into the power line going to the garage ac, install a male plug to outside of the coach, have a box where the wires meet along with a switch to direct power for ac from either the coach or outside source. Then the garage ac will be a stand alone unit.

The 2nd reason is. Last week while in Duluth for four days there was only 20 amp power available, temp in the 80's, humid and I had to keep doogs cool. So I ran the gen. Well I had issues with the gen turning off by itself 4- 6 times during the day only. The other issue I had was I was not able to turn off the gen with any of the three switches to start and stop the gen. I came back to the coach several times to find that the gen had stopped running and temp in the garage was high 70's. Too hot for the dogs. With this change in the garage ac I can plug it into a 20 or 30 amp outlet then I can plug the coach into another. Now if I lose power in one of the outlets the coach is still being cooled by the front or garage ac. (better than non at all) Alos if we lose all power I can set the auto gen to kick in and keep some ac running.

Maybe this makes better sense.

Ed