View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Bob86ZZ4

My coach was made back in '03, before the flat tv craze. So, they put in a 20" tube. Heavy and takes up lots of space with not a very big screen. I bought a 27" lcd and then tried to figure out how to mount it where the tube came out. 27" was the largest I could fit over the old opening. I decided to get one of those wall mounts that allows the tv to move out and swivel. That way I can get into the big cabinet where the old tube used to be and store junk in there. It would also allow the tv to be better viewed while sitting in the dinette I figure. Here's the opening:

I put that 3/4" plywood down to provide some more strength to the base of the cabinet, it seemed kind of flimsey to me.

Here's the bracket I made out of 1" square steel tubing, 11 guage:

And here's the homemade bracket with the plate from the swivel tv hanger bolted to it:

All hung up:

And swiveled out:

I used a shelf board underneath the existing cabinet to add strength. 8 bolts through the whole thing should hold I hope. The only thing I'm kind of worried about is it might swivel around a bit when rolling down the road? I haven't driven with it yet. I'm thinking I can make some sort of bracket/bar or something to insert across the back when the tv is closed up in front of the cabinet? Maybe with a slot type bracket on each side to rest the bar in? That would engage the swivel portion of the hanger to lock the screen in place, and stop it from swinging out too. Thought I'd throw it out here in case somebody has another idea? Kind of like how we solved Gene's car tie down issue. Maybe the thing won't even move and it won't be a problem. Anybody else's tv mounted on one of these swivel types? Does it stay put under way?