Thread: Vibration
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
Wick

I have a 1999 Century Class Frieghtliner that we had Show Hauler convert with a 32 ft box. We looked at 7 different manufacturers before I stumbled onto Larry's Photo's. We then went to Show Hauler and hammered out what we wanted. It was finished last June and we have since put 41,000 miles on it. It has been absolutely great with one exception. We have a chassis vibration that appears when the road speed gets up close to 65 and then it gets more severe as the speed goes up. I started with the tires. I replaced all ten and had them balanced. This had no effect. I went under the coach and checked the drive line. All looked fine. I removed each shaft assembly and inspected them. They appeared to be no problems. When the chassis was streched all the shafts were built then. They do appear to be a degree or so off from the rear looking forward to the front yoke at the transmission, but I was told that the tolerance was something on the order of 2% per shaft. I then took the coach to a good alignment shop but they also found nothing amiss. Next I jacked the rear wheels off the ground and attempted to run the drive train at 65 mph, but I could not get the autoshift to go up to that speed, I think that the computer for the Detroit and the transmission had something to do with that. I did detect alot of noise coming from the back rear. We pulled it and found it a bit out of adjustment. after re-installing the rea we took it for another drive. But the vibration is still there. I do not know what I should do next and would appreciate any help. I am contemplating removing the transmission next and going thru it and then the front rear, but I don't want to do that if I do not need to. The coach has 543,000 miles on it and I bought it specifically for this conversion. Any suspension parts that were showing signs of wear were replaced at that time. We pull a 32ft trailer with about 20,000 lbs of sporting clay traps and accessories in it.The vibration is there pulling a trailer or not...
Thanks for the help
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote