View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #170
Bob86ZZ4

Rand, I don't do much boondocking. But sometimes I do. I've got 2 12v deep cycle batteries for the house. I've got a battery test switch on a little panel along with the switch to turn on my water pump and check my holding tank and propane levels. It just lights up some lights on a scale to tell me if the batteries are good or not. I've used a v.o.m. meter sometimes to get a more accurate idea of how low they are before turning on the generator to bring them back up. The truck has 3 12v truck batteries to start the generator and tractor motor. I bought a cheap thing that plugs into a cigarette lighter and has a lcd readout of battery voltage. I just use that once in awhile to see that the house batts don't get too low. I figure if they go down to about 11 volts I should charge them up? I've got a cigarette lighter socket that I put in above the nightstand in the bedroom so I can plug my cell phone charger or laptop (with small inverter) in. I think those lcd readouts you got look nice and thought about buying one to hook up to my house batteries. But why do they need 9v to run? That seems odd to me. Would they be much better than the cigarette plug thing I've got now? Should I not be letting the house batteries get that low before turning on the gen?