View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Bob86ZZ4

Geofkaye. I agree electrical can be confusing at times. I don't agree that 12 volt systems are inherently more likely to catch/cause fires. There is no way you can prove that a 12v system is more dangerous than a 120v system. It's just not possible. Nor can be said the reverse. Now, I would posite that the installation and materials would be nearly 100% the cause of electrical failures/fires. Damage and misuse would fall in to make up the 100%. I'm with you on simplification too. I guess there must have been a reason they wired the charger to the switch. I suppose if the charger isn't plugged in to shore power and it's 12 volt output terminals are wired to the batteries they could provide a drain path for those house batteries back through the circuitry of the unpowered charger? I'd have to check that with an ohm meter but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

I don't think I'd want a coach with 100% 120v systems. Wouldn't that require constant running of the generator? Especially since you don't endorse inverters? I like being able to have most systems useable in total silence with just the house batteries. My previous coach was a Allegro 27' class A gasser. It was equiped with 4 deep cycle 6 volt golf cart batteries and 3 LARGE solar panels. The only time I had to run the generator was for the roof air or the microwave. I sure liked that.