View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Ran D. St. Clair

I picked up some clamp on ferrite cores from my local electronics junk store today and tried them on the AC wires from my inverter. Unfurtunately, they did nothing to aleviate the buzz on my AM radio. Fortunately that buzz is only significant on an unused AM channel, meaning it really isn't a problem for me.

It remains to be seen what impact if any it will have on my TV or Wi-Fi. AM radio is on a really low frequency (535Khz to 1605Khz). That's only about 30 times faster than the highest audio frequency you can hear, so for radio waves it is really slow (frequency, not speed).

I suspect the ferrite cores are better at filtering higher frequencies so they may still do me some good for my Wi-Fi frequencies (2.4Ghz). Then again, I may not have needed any filtering in that band in the first place.

Broadcast TV is in the range of 54 Mhz to 890 Mhz which is about 100 times higher than AM radio. The ferrite cores may do me some good up there, but I still don't know if I even need them.

Gary Z., I am not sure if any of this is going to help you. I did promise to let everyone know what the ferrite cores did (nothing), so now I have done that. There are lots of more sophisticated AC line filters, but they cost more money. I don't feel like I am qualified to make any further recommendations, especially if they are going to cost you money and not necessarily solve your problem. At this point I imagine you are regretting your decision to buy the "pure sign wave" inverter. I guess you will just have to try various different things to see what works. Sorry, that's not very helpfull..

Good Luck
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote