Thread: Tire Pressue
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
Bob86ZZ4

Oh noooooooooooo,, tire pressure ? I like that BF Goodrich link Rad. Interesting. I've kind of taken the position that the max pressure listed on the sidewall is what I like. If the tire maker says this tire will hold 110 lbs when cold, then that's what it will hold. Now, read further on the sidewall (or before the pressure wherever it's listed) and it will say the max weight/load the tire will hold up. So, I suppose you could lower the pressure if you had a lighter load than that max. But, why? To make it ride smoother I suppose. Would a harder (higher pressure) tire get better mileage? I think it would. Would a harder tire deflect the sidewall less, thereby offering better handling when cornering? I think it might. Another question: the more a tire flexes side to side, the more heat is generated, thereby causing more pressure fluctuation and wear? I don't know. I think tire pressures seem to always generate a bunch of different answers depending on whom you talk to. It's a great question, just figure everybody has their reasons for what they like. I'm a max posted guy. But I like the firm ride and good handling. I always check my tires before moving it so they're cold.