View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
bigboyfrank

Eventually we all must take the plunge and --gasp!--go to the fabric store. Wear some cheap sunglasses and go do it. I don't know where you are located, but out West here, we have a chain called "Hancock Fabrics". These guys carry a headliner type material that has a thin foam backing bonded to the face cloth. This woven polyester material looks identical to the GM style used in the 80's & 90's for automotive headliners, "A" & "C" pillars wraps and door panels. Colors are a-plenty for most decors, including a neutral charcoal gray and even black. You can mount it to most anything with 3M General Trim (spray) adhesive, however I would use contact cement for overhead applications. Of course there are the heavy upholstery materials also, including the vinyls, synthetic leathers, and cotton blends. Take warning--if you are secretly a creative type you might burn up a whole afternoon discovering the "softer" side of this conversion hobby. Throw in the Wife's embroidery machine and I'm off in la-la land. (For God's sake, stay away from the fleeces and the tweeds--these are yesterday's fish.)
bigboyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote