View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #17
blizzardND

I use AutoCad I have a copy of AutoCad LT 2005 that I bought but cannot get the CD to load on this new computer, so I am using an old (from work) CD of AutoCad 2000 with Mechanical Desktop. but in all the years I spent drawing professionally I only drafted in 2D so I don't use the 3d tools in the Mech desktop.

It is nice to use a platform that your steel fabricator can read so that they can just load your 2d drawing into their CNC plasma or laser and burn the parts out.

Also as far as pictures go, I have quite a few of them posted on a long thread on the escapees MDT site. check them out if you have a minute or 2

link
Blizzards MDT Conversion Plans

blizz

ps when you are working with steel, the area command in AutoCad helps figure out the weight of each part. I am finding that a steel weight chart is very handy, one it helps me keep the truck balanced front/rear axle and 2 figure 3 dollars a pound for steel that requires any cutting and forming. a simple piece of 3/8 plate gets expensive quick!